Sunday 17 May 2009

A MESSAGE FROM THE PARISH PRIEST

I realise that the letter I read out at Sunday Mass last week has upset a number of people. If it means anything to you I too am one of those upset people. I too would like to keep things exactly the same but as the priests of the area said in their letter last week:
In an ideal world we would have been able to keep everything exactly the same, and everyone’s most convenient/favourite Mass time in their Parish would have remained unchanged. But within the diocese as a whole we have reached the point where this is no longer feasible.’
In a few weeks we enter into a new phase of history in this part of the Bury Deanery. The two parishes of St Joseph and St Marie will be amalgamated to form ONE NEW PARISH. For this new parish there is ONE PARISH PRIEST and there are THREE MASSES. The difference is the Masses are now spread over TWO BUILDINGS.
With any new venture there are always one or two teething problems. Think of when you moved house, bought a new car, started a new job etc. In time we will work through the difficulties TOGETHER. As your Parish Priest I am unable to undertake this task alone. There will have to be a close collaboration between priest and people. TOGTHER WE CAN DO IT.
I know that some of you have written about your concerns to the Dean and even the Bishop because those letters (and replies) have been copied to me. I an fully understand the sentiments in those letters, but whether wwe like it or not the reality will remain the same.
As your Parish Priest I have other duties other than celebrating Mass on Sundays. In the new parish there will be TWO PRIMARY SCHOOLS who will ask for support and pastoral care that only a priest can give. There will also be an increase in the number of baptisms, weddings and funerals all of which take time to prepare. So you can see I will have my work cut out!!!
I therefore do not need to search for extra work or have it created for me. It is not an easy task to have to console brides over the telephone who are worried their wedding will not take place because they have heard 'the church is closing'. Can I assure anyone who may have heard that the church is closing that is MOST CERTAINLY NOT THE CASE. Weddings and Baptisms that have already been arranged will take place. The only thing that will prevent me from celebrating those sacraments with you and for you will be if the Lord calls me to Himself or more likely sends me to the place where I won't need an extra coat!!!
Please do not go around spreading untruths that either the church of St Joseph or St Marie closing. Please do not stop people at random asking them to write to the Bishop or the Dean or sign petitions. It only goes to add to the upset that people feel at this time of uncertainty.
In times of uncertainty and change the only thing we can and should do is to place our trust in Our Lord and not in bricks and mortar. He is the One who is UNCHANGING.
Its easy for us to blame someone for all of this. We can blame the Bishop, or the Dean or the Parish Priest if it makes us feel better. But the reality of the situation in which we now find ourselves remains the same.
We have to work together. Pray for me as I do for you that we will have the necessary strengths and graces to work through the challenges that lie ahead.

5 comments:

Victoria Mildew said...

Hello, Fr. F.,

Not an easy time for you and all the parishioners of Bury.

Will keep all of you in my prayers

God bless

VM
x

Fr Francis Wadsworth said...

Thanks Victoria for your promise of prayer. The parishioners and I could do with all the help we can get at the moment!!!

God bless
Fr. Francis

Anonymous said...

Hi Fr Francis,

You and your people new and old are very much in my prayers! Hope that it all goes well and it is a time of growth and conversion! May Our Lord bless your work! Hope to see pics of St Joesph church and hope there will be some nice treats in the church and sacristy!

We meet in Lourdes last year i am an A & B Seminarain, just about to leave St Johns Wonersh and have been a appointed to a parish where i will wait for Ordination! Need prayers, be good to catch up with you not going to Lourdes this year!

Love your new look satutes, what else have you got in store for the church?

With Prayers

Gerard hatton

Fr Francis Wadsworth said...

Hi Gerard,
Thanks you for your comments and your prayers. We will need all the help that we can get!!!

Hoep all goes well for your parish placement and preparations for your ordination. You have my prayers. Yes we must mee t up at some stage. do let me have your contact details/email and I am sure we can arrange something.

Oremus pro invicem
Francis

Victoria Mildew said...

Hello, again Fr.,

I don't know how many of your parishioners and readers "surf" the 'net. Check out www.buffalodiocese.org and their "faith in the future" type program link.
It may not give comfort in the short term but hopefully will show that having to "restructure the way of parish life" is not confined to Salford Diocese only.

Prayers and thoughts

VM
x
<><